Piano Department Head
Founded in 1912, The Cleveland Music School Settlement (dba The Music Settlement) provides music and arts programming to students of all ages and backgrounds in a way that promotes creativity, self-confidence and artistic expression.
Our Mission: To welcome all to our music and arts community to learn, create, inspire and heal.
Our Vision: To unlock the potential in everyone.
Primary purpose: the Piano Department Head advances and supports the mission of The Music Settlement (TMS) through the following actions:
Classification: Part Time
Reports to: Chair, Center for Music
- Expand, with your faculty, the Piano Department through enrollment growth at both the University Circle and Ohio City campuses
- Maintain visibility in the community through student and faculty performances
- Serve as a liaison between the Piano Department Faculty and The Music Settlement administration
- Seek collaborative alliances with other organizations, as appropriate and aligned with TMS’ mission and the Center for Music’s programming
- Hold department meetings
- Attend the All Organizational Meeting and CFM faculty meetings held by Chair for The Center For Music
- Respond to TMS e-mails and requests from the HR and finance Departments
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Expand the Piano Department through enrollment growth. (Growth goal to be determined with Chair as part of annual goals)
- Assist in marketing and recruiting for the Piano Department
- Assist with recruiting for TMS ensembles, camps, and/or classes by communicating to Piano Department Faculty about openings and needs in ensembles, camps, and/or classes
- Maintain visibility in the community through performances.(Minimum performances to be determined with Chair as part of annual goals)
- Work with Piano Department Faculty to schedule and coordinate two departmental concerts per year, either on-site or at the BOP STOP/other venue
- Work with Piano Department Faculty to schedule and coordinate two masterclasses/workshops per year, either on site or at the BOP STOP/other venue. These classes can be geared for students or faculty, in addition to other area teachers/students as well
- Assist the Center for Music in coordinating performers from the Piano Department for Holiday Circle Fest, Arts on Magnolia, and other events as requested. Communicate all information and scheduling to your respective faculty and performers
- Assist the Center for Music in coordinating performers from the Piano Department for other events, as needed
- Work with CFM Administrators and the Marketing Department to have access to necessary promotional materials/collateral/banners/signage to display at all TMS public performances
- Serve as a liaison between the Piano Department Faculty and The Music Settlement administration.
- Schedule and conduct two meetings for the Piano Department during the school year
- Work with CFM Administrators to schedule scholarship auditions for the Piano Department
- Communicate information about our scholarship auditions to Piano Department faculty and other music teachers in the community
- Attend monthly Department Head meetings, in addition to Administrative meetings as scheduled
- Provide input on budget needs for your department
- Work with TMS leadership to help foster a collegial atmosphere and encourage TMS faculty to act as ambassadors for the organization
Educational requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in music (or related field) required, Master’s preferred.
To Apply: Apply online at www.TheMusicSettlement.org/about/careers by filling out the online form for Piano Department Head and uploading cover letter and resume. No phone calls please.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Outlook
- Proficiency with other computer programs, including our registration software
- Ability to work and complete goals with little or no supervision
- Professional appearance and pleasant demeanor
- Detail oriented and excellent follow up skills
The Piano Department Head must personally adhere to all established personnel policies and practices of The Music Settlement. As a member of the administrative staff, this individual must encourage a respectful, healthy, and productive work environment for all employees, volunteers, customers, and clients.
The Music Settlement is an equal opportunity employer and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law.