Sand - every kid's favorite thing and every parent's least favorite to clean. Kinetic sand to the rescue!
The kinetic sand you buy in the store is pretty awesome, but did you know you can make your own version at home? The recipe is similar to cloud dough, but adds sand for that great kinetic sand texture. It is still fairly easy to clean up since the sand particles stick to each other, and it's great for perfecting your sand castle building technique.
- Sand, play or craft sand work great
- Flour or cornstarch, or a mix of the two
- Oil (you could use cooking oil, baby oil, or mineral oil, depending on what you have available)
- Large pan for mixing and playing
The ratio of ingredients you want is 5:3:1. Five scoops of sand, three scoops of flour or cornstarch, and one scoop of oil. Use whatever size scoop you want and add the aforementioned ratio of ingredients. Dump the ingredients in your container and get mixing. First mix with a spoon until most of the oil is combined, then finish with your fingers. You'll know the consistency is right when the mixture holds its shape in your hands!
Create your own beach sensory tray with the kinetic sand you made, shells, sea creatures, or sand castle tools!
A few notes:
- For our recipe, we used play sand from our backyard sandbox, a mix of flour and cornstarch (we're running low on cornstarch!), and vegetable oil.
- You can color the sand, but know you'll need to add a lot of color to make it spread throughout. If you're looking to make colored kinetic sand, we recommend starting with already colored sand.
- This sand will stay moist for a while. If it starts to lose it's "kinetic-ness," just add a bit more oil.