Pete McCann Quartet @ BOP STOP
When: Oct 13, 2018, 8:00pm - 11:00pm
Where: BOP STOP
Acclaimed guitarist, Pete McCann, returns to BOP STOP to lead his stellar quartet for two sets of original compositions and arrangements.
An Eau Claire, Wisconsin native, jazz guitarist Pete McCann has been an integral part of the New York City jazz scene for over 25 years. He has just released Pay For It On The Other Side, his sixth recording as a leader. A sought-after sideman from duos to big bands, with a unique and wide-ranging set of musical skills, McCann has played guitar on over 100 CDs. Pete has performed in every type of venue from jazz clubs to jazz festivals, schools to concert halls and even Carnegie Hall. He has traveled to 18 countries and has played in almost every state in the USA.
McCann has performed and/or recorded with Kenny Wheeler, Dave Liebman, Lee Konitz, Patti Austin, Brian Blade, Bobby Previte, Grace Kelly, the Mahavishnu Project and the Maria Schneider Orchestra. He currently works in groups lead by Melissa Stylianou, Jocelyn Medina, Joe Fiedler, Spin Cycle, Ben Kono, Dan Willis, Pete Mills, Chris Tarry, the Breithaupt Brothers and orchestras led by Migiwa Miyajima and Christopher Zuar. As a commercial recording artist, he has worked on projects for CNN, BBC, Sesame Street and IBM.
Pay For It On The Other Side features John O’Gallagher, Henry Hey Matt Clohesy and Mark Ferber. His earlier CDs have featured Mike Holober, John Hebert, Peter Epstein, Mike Sarin, Tim Lefebvre and Matt Wilson. His solo recordings have received rave reviews:
- Pay For It On The Other Side (2018): “Guitarist Pete McCann has been heralded as a convincing voice of the contemporary jazz guitar world, showing skills to combine hard rock, blues and post-bop in a legitimate manner…” — Jazz Trail
- Range (2015): “McCann has such command of his instrument that he can go deep in any setting...” — DownBeat Extra Mile (2009): “[T]he Eau Claire, Wisconsin native continues to make strong personal statements with his sophisticated harmonic sensibility, blistering chops and improvisational daring.” — Guitar Player
- Most Folks (2006): “This and virtually every tune offered during the performance revealed McCann to be a song writer of considerable gifts.” — Portland Herald Press
- You Remind Me of Someone (2000): “Along with fine playing and breadth, McCann has an underlying artistry....” — Jazz Times
- Parable (1998): “McCann is a multitasking dynamo as he switch hits between blazing guitar pyrotechnics and clear-toned, fleet fingered jazz soloing.” — www.allaboutjazz.com
McCann received his Bachelor of Music degree from the University of North Texas and has taught at New York University, The New School, City College and the Maine Jazz Camp. He has written articles for Guitar Player and DownBeat magazines and was featured in the NYC Jazz Guitar Summit for the True Fire video series. Pete is endorsed by D’Addario and Planet Waves.
- Pete McCann - guitar
- Pete Mills - sax
- Matt Pavolka - bass
- Mark Ferber - drums