BOP STOP at The Music Settlement is Cleveland's premier listening room: an intimate, acoustically pristine performance venue with sweeping views of Lake Erie.
The Music Settlement has been a community anchor for more than a century. The community music school forged out of the Settlement Movement was created as a way to welcome immigrants to Cleveland and unite them through the common language of music.
Known today as The Music Settlement, TMS was incorporated on April 25, 1912 as the Cleveland Music School Settlement with fifty students, designed to provide free or inexpensive musical training for the children of wage earners of Cleveland's newly arriving immigrant population. We have since grown to one of the largest schools of our kind in the United States, serving thousands of students annually, and awarding generous scholarships and financial aid.
Inspired by similar Settlement Houses, Almeda Adams, a blind musician, founded the Settlement with the help of Adella Prentiss Hughes and the Fortnightly Music Club's initial $1,000 donation. Within a few years, enrollment more than tripled, forcing TMS to move several times to accommadate growing class sizes. By 1938, we had found our way from our original location at The Goodrich House to the 42-room home of Edmund S. Burke, the then director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland. The Burke Estate at 11125 Magnolia Drive remains home to our historic University Circle campus, which now encompasses five buildings across more than 56,000 square feet.